Sunday, April 12, 2009

a rainy day in Manhattan

This is what we did yesterday, a rainy day in Manhattan:
  1. buy our all day Fun Passes for the subway
  2. coffee and rolls at Corrado Bread and Pastry at Lex & 70th
  3. visit the Fricke Collection. we went to see the 5 paintings on loan from the Norton Simon collection, and were wowed by the entire place. we will definitely be back.
  4. too wet to explore the knit shops in the neghborhood, so we took the subway down to the West Village
  5. lunch at A Salt and Battery. possibly the best fish and chips ever. only 7 stools, but we perservered and got 2 stools by the time our fish was ready. while sitting in the window, munching our fish, we watched both the hipsters and the yoga practioners walk by.
  6. a very long stroll in the rain to the Lion Brand shop. they had a darling window, but guess what? Closed for Easter holiday.
  7. a very long trudge back to the subway and home

I don't think I've been as wet since I was a little girl in Portland, Oregon, walking to school in the rain. Taylor reminded me that we had a wet day in Manhattan with Syvart about 5 years ago. Then I remembered a very wet hike along the Washington coast with our friends the Andrews, and our 4 children. Of course, Cheryl and I used to get soaked running in the rain in Olympia, Washington. I've been wet before. Each time just feels the wettest.

By the way, we've got blue sky and sunshine today.

No comments: