Until recently.
My friend Pat has a friend who has been looking for someone to knit a Christmas stocking for her. She already has three stockings and wants a fourth for the new daughter in law. Apparently, this friend has asked in knitting shops all around the Hilton Head area and hasn't been able to find someone to produce for her. Well.......................my friend Pat said to her, "My friend Jamar could knit this up in no time." The friend contacted me asking if I could knit a stocking. I replied that I could (thinking that I would not like to do it), and before I knew it I was committed. I neglected to discuss price with the woman. Big mistake.
The friend gave Pat her three stocking so I could look them over, and sent me the pattern. As I suspected, the socks were made from acryllic from Michael's. Being a yarn snob, it was difficult for me to make the transition to yarn that doesn't feel or look good. However, since I said I'd do it, I purchased the yarn and knit the stocking. Actually, it was kind of fun to do an intarsia project, even though I had a bad attitude.
The question now is, how much to charge? I spent $25 on supplies. I actually kept track of my time: 20 hours, including shopping, graphing the name and knitting. If I had a time clock it probably would add up to more than 20 hours. How much is a knitter's time worth? What a quandary.
No comments:
Post a Comment