We started the first day of our Road Scholar tour with a trip to the areas of Dashur, and Giza. I think most people associate pyramids with Egypt. However, I had no idea there were so many of them. There are more than 100 pyramids in Egypt. Most likely there are even more pyramids buried in the sand.
 |
| The first pyramid of the day is also the oldest in the area, the Bent Pyramid. The angles of the pyramid aren't quite right, so it wasn't a success. As you can see, it's crumbling. |
 |
| The architect of the Red Pyramid, also in Dashur, got the angles correct. This is the first true pyramid. We climbed to the entrance, but did not go in. |
 |
| From the entrance of the Red Pyramid I was able to look into the distance and see even more pyramids. |
 |
| Near the Great Pyramid, smaller pyramids for wives and sons. |
 |
| The Great Pyramid of Giza is in the distance. Taylor and I climbed to the top, through a long narrow corridor, at times bent nearly double. It was a challenge, and we did it! |
 |
| Getting to the top, I worked up a sweat. The reward was a small dark room, with an empty coffin. It was well worth the effort. |
 |
| Steamy conditions in the pyramid. Taylor forgot to bring a sweat head band on the trip! |
 |
| Climbing down from the top of the Great Pyramid of Khufu I met this Syrian woman. She was unhappy with her husband for making her climb to the top, only to find nothing. I think the claustrophobic tunnel wasn't her idea of a good time. |
Now that we visited so many pyramids, it's hard to keep them all straight. While the pyramids are fascinating, I also found that the scenes around me were also intriguing. Here are some images that will stick in my memory of my introduction to Egypt.
No comments:
Post a Comment