Since we had a free morning on the Omar Khayam, I took advantage of being away from the real world and had a massage!!! I can't believe I did a cruise ship massage, but it was quite wonderful. After the massage I spent a few hours on the deck watching the banks of the Nile float by. I was thoroughly prepared for the afternoon sights. Our first stop is Wadi es-Seboua - the Valley of the Lions! Wow! This temple was built by the 18th dynasty Pharaoh Amenhotop III and restored by Ramesses II.
 |
| Temple of Wadi es-Seboua |
 |
| One of many sphinx of Ramesses which originally lined the road approaching the temple. |
 |
| This man at the entrance holds a large stick. Periodically he strolls through the temple and rids it of any venemous or other snakes who have attempted to take up residence. |
 |
| There are beautiful carvings inside Wadi es-Seboua, as well as places for snakes to hide. |
 |
| Taylor and I chose to walk to the next temple, but another option was to ride on this pony cart. |
 |
| Oh what a view! |
 |
| There's our boat. This may be one of the more remote spots we've ever been in. |
After visiting Wadi es-Seboua, it was hard to imagine there would be much else of interest in the neighborhood, but I was wrong. A smaller temple is short distance away.
 |
| A simpler temple than the first, but lovely inside. |
 |
| I know this is Isis. She has the sun resting between two horns and a cell phone resting on top. |
 |
| These are only a few of the many columns in this little temple. |
 |
| On our way back to get the small boat which will ferry us to the Omar Khayam we notice we are not the only tourists here. Another ship has joined ours. |
 |
| We weren't lucky enough to see a crocodile in the Nile, but this fellow greeted us on our return to the ship. |
 |
| After dinner the crocodile was gone, and this baboon greeted us instead. |
 |
| After a long day, we enjoyed a little Nubian music and dance. |
No comments:
Post a Comment