Thursday, August 13, 2009

Gloves and Mittens Are My New Socks

I'm in love. In love with mittens and gloves, gloves and mittens.

I used to make socks for quick projects. They are easy to take with, they work up quickly, feel wonderful on the feet and most often fit just right. However, people don't usually appreciate hand knit socks on another person because unless you're a knitter you're not looking at people's feet. Another down side, is if I wear them a lot they tend to develop holes and I never get around to repairing them even though I know how.

Well - the answer to this, for me, is knitting items for hands!!! I just finished my Bird in Hand Mittens (one of the mittens that is) and I enjoyed every minute of the process. I can't wait for the first cold day so I can wear them (assuming the partner joins the first mitten).




Can you find the bird? He's in there.
The gloves: before and after embellishment. The first glove was knit the first week of the sprained ankle and coinsided with the death of Michael Jackson. How fitting. I finally finished the second one, and eventually added some decoration to get away from the hand knit white wool gardening glove effect. I think I will actually wear these, and they feel good on the hands.
Now I'm moving on to the Anemoi Mittens that I had to rip out earlier. I bought some Dale Baby Ull that has the proper gauge. We're leaving town shortly, for the Hudson River Valley, so I'll do the knit, knit, knit on my Summer Shell in the car, and save the Anemoi for relaxing at the Inn. Can't wait.

2 comments:

sasha said...

those are beautiful!

sasha said...

those are beautiful!