Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Proper Castle

A few days ago, when we were eating breakfast in York, I discovered that Castle Howard was only 15 minutes away. Upon further research I learned that while it wasn't directly on the way to Keswick, it would be a reasonable side trip for the next part of our journey.  Our hostess and another guest assured us that Castle Howard shouldn't be missed.  So, off we went.

Before leaving Portland I looked into visiting Highclere Castle, the location of Downtown Abbey.  I found that tours of that great estate are booked for a full year.  But, Castle Howard - the location for both versions of Brideshead Revisited - should be a fabulous alternative.

And Castle Howard is stunning from every angle.



I recognized the fountain at once, from Brideshead Revisited.



It is fabulous inside...............




.......and it is fabulous outside.

This estate is a fine example of what lengths a wealthy, landed family will go to keep their estate: they rent the house out for movie productions, weddings and tourists in general.  I was disappointed to only see a handful of rooms especially decorated for public viewing.  It wasn't the Upstairs, Downstairs tour that I was hoping for.

Then, we drove on to Conwy, North Wales.


Finally, a proper castle.

There are no fancy furnishings, and some walls are missing, but it's got all the necessary parts - turrets, a mote, a chapel, fireplaces, a dungeon, skinny slits for shooting arrows, and much, much more.



Now, I know the difference between a fine estate home, and a proper castle.


No comments: