March 30, 2014
When travelling, the transitions are challenging.
Our flight to Heathrow Airport, via Madrid, is scheduled to
depart Tangier at 11:35, or 12:35 depending on which airline correspondence we
read. Since we like to be early, to deal
with any challenges, we told our host, Aziz, that we would like to arrive at
the airport at 9:00. He arranged to have
Mohammad pick us up at La Maison Blanche at 8:30. Since 8:30 is earlier than Aziz feeds his
guests, we arranged to have coffee, mint
tea and orange juice instead of the full breakfast. We don’t need food. We would have plenty of time at the airport
to get a snack. Of course, we forgot
that we had traded all our Moroccan money for euros. We left La Maison Blanche with 31 MAD cents
(Moroccan money).
Mohammad got us to the airport without any hitches. We have now been at the Tangier Airport for
about two hours. We just now got to the
gate. Taylor has been a bundle of
nerves, and I have been a bundle of snot.
I have used more Kleenex in the last two weeks with my ongoing allergy
attack than I have used in the last 5 years.
Why did it take us two hours to get to the gate? Well…………………I don’t know. There are no reader boards here to tell us
our gate number, or what time any flights depart. All the airlines use the same 10 or 12 check
in desks, and they change the signs according to which airline has a
flight. We were unable to check in
online last night, so we didn’t have seat assignments or boarding passes. No one speaks English. This is enough to challenge any one prone to
nervous tics, or sneezes.
Given that we knew nothing, we just sat – or rather, Taylor
paced and I sneezed. Finally, about an
hour before departure three lovely young women took their boxes of papers and
tickets up to three of the check in desks, put up their Iberia signs and
started checking people in. We were
first in line, naturally, but the woman we were lined up in front of, ignored
us. Finally, I got in a different line leaving Taylor in front of the woman ignoring us. We eventually got checked in from my line. By the time Taylor deserted our original line, the
woman immediately took the next customer.
I guess she didn’t like Taylor.
After all that, we easily made it through customs and immigration. We sent our bags through the xray machine and
I enjoyed a thorough pat down – they didn’t put a hand on Taylor despite the
fact he set off the alarm.
We are at the
gates. There are three gates and we
don’t know which one is ours. Three
planes depart at 5 minutes intervals, and there are no planes. And we’re hungry.
With our 31 MAD, Taylor was able to buy two croissants and a
Snickers bar. We’ve now had
breakfast. More people are
arriving. There are still no planes.
Insallah, our plane will arrive and I will next be writing from England.
No comments:
Post a Comment