The waiter at dinner last night exclaimed, "Lucca, why you come to Lucca?" He was happy when I said, "To have dinner with you." He then proceeded to give me a kiss - on each cheek. It seems that the people in Lucca don't understand what a treasure their town is. Here are a few of the reasons to visit Lucca.
Excellent music - every night there is a Puccini concert at San Giovanni Church. I went to two concerts, Taylor went to three.
Walking the walls - Lucca has not been involved in a war since 1430, so it's walls and buildings are perfectly preserved. The wall is 2 1/2 miles long and it seems that it is everyone's backyard. People are always walking, biking, picnicking or just sitting on the wall. We joined in and and walked like locals.
![]() |
| Some modern art on the wall. |
![]() |
| These cardboard ostriches were tucked into one of the tunnels under the wall. |
![]() |
| Female angel. |
![]() |
| One of the entrances to Lucca. The wall extends on both sides of the city gates. Some only allow pedestrians. |
![]() |
| There is a maze of tunnels under the wall. |
Good Food - finally some food to write home about.
Excellent music - every night there is a Puccini concert at San Giovanni Church. I went to two concerts, Taylor went to three.
![]() |
| Giacomo Puccini was born in Lucca. |
![]() |
| There is a concert every single night of the year at the Church of San Giovanni. Each concert featured 2 singers and a pianist. Different music each night. |
Churches - There are many churches in Lucca - all of them filled with the most amazing frescoes, paintings, sculpture, and architecture. We visited many but not all of them.
Friends - While there are many aspects of Lucca which are charming and alluring, one of the things I really enjoy is being here with friends. After the frenetic pace in Rome, learning to relax in Lucca with friends has been lovely.
![]() |
| Here is an example of some remodeling in a church. A new chapel is being installed over an existing arch. This is the Church of Santa Cecilia. |
![]() |
| Like most of the churches in Lucca, Santa Cecilia has beautiful frescoes. |
![]() |
| This Madonna and child are so sweet. |
![]() |
| San Martino Cathedral is the main church of the Republic of Lucca. |
![]() |
| Church of San Frediano. Hardly anyone visits this lovely church. I was actually in it alone for quite a long period of time. |
![]() |
| The altar is very simple, but the chapels on both sides of the church were quite fancy. I love this simplicity. |
![]() |
| I hate when tourists take photos of paintings, but here I am. I did it. I love this painting and I justified my behavior as being acceptable because I was the only one in the church. |
![]() |
| Our first night's dinner in Lucca with John, Bruce, Margit, Taylor and Jamar (the photographer). |
![]() |
| Relaxing at the Pfanner Palace and Garden. We spent most of our time in the gardens just like this. |



















No comments:
Post a Comment