I took this picture because I was amazed at the slogan on the door of the car. I have two thoughts on this, thanks to David and Chia.
- David suggested that this is an example of a bad translation. Probably the quotation should be "to serve and protect." If David is right, you can see how much trouble I can potentially get into with my small knowledge of Mandarin.
- Chia thought that this is a joke - not a real police car at all
After doing a little research, I still don't know what's up with this car. There is a technology company in Taipei called Cypress Technology (CYP), founded in 1989. Their logo doesn't match this one, but I wonder if this is their idea of a creative joke, not to be understood by those of us not in the know.
Finally, the puzzle is solved.
Finally, the puzzle is solved.
- Syvart has the real answer to the puzzle: The car says "Transformers" on it - the logo is a reference to a series of big-budget robot movies (and a famous series of toys and cartoons, I even bought some of the toys when my boys were children). It's not a real police car.
So, unless someone else comes up with another solution, this is a creative joke for people in the know. My generation wouldn't get this. And the car, with its logo, was unexpected in my Taipei neighborhood.

No comments:
Post a Comment