Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Acts of Kindness

My first thoughts of Armenia are that it is the poorest of the three South Caucasus countries ($9,500 GDP) and the friendliest. In every village we passed through on our drive to Yerevan people looked excited to see our bus and waved enthusiastically.  On the streets in Yerevan, local people continue to smile. I don't think I made eye contact with people in Russia.   This is most refreshing

At one of our WC stops on the road to Yerevan, Taylor poked his nose into a quiet shop, and discovered a few women baking bread.  He brought me over to see the women work, and one of the women presented us with a loaf of bread hot from the oven.  She refused to take money.

Yesterday, while waiting on the side walk in front of the hotel, we admired the gorgeous roses and told the gardener the roses were beautiful.  About five minutes later he presented me with a sprig of roses.  And, yes, they are fragrant.

Taylor ran upstairs to get a water bottle to use as a vase.  We enjoyed our little bouquet in the bus.
We had a wonderful dinner by ourselves in a little restaurant on a side street.   Since Armenia is known for it's cognac, Taylor ordered it after dinner.  Since I had had two glasses of wine I declined.  However, our gracious waitress insisted that I try the cherry liquor. It was not heavy and syrupy, but light and really had a lovely cherry flavor. This was her gift to me.


When we have breakfast at the hotel, we check in with the hostess and give her our room number. After the first day, our hostess at breakfast remembered our room number.  Today she asked me where I am from, and if I had read about Armenia at home.  She then thanked me for knowing about her small country, and for coming to visit.

One last comment about the graciousness of this country.  Every toilet I have used has not only been clean, but it's had western toilets, toilet paper and paper towels. I really like Armenia.



No comments: