Monday, June 22, 2009

The Tubular Blues

I'm at that point in my Diminishing Rib Cardigan, featured on the cover of Interweave Knits Spring 2009, where I'm nervous about finishing but excited to have a complete sweater. I've finished the body and have been tackling the tubular bind off.

Since I knit the beginning of this sweater more than twice, I promised myself to read directions carefully and follow them so the rest of the sweater would be knit once. I admit I did a little branching out on this sweater, because I wanted the waist ribbing to be closer to my waist that the pattern calls for. I also measured a favorite sweater for length and made all adjustments needed to get a good length for me.

Yesterday, measurements were in order, so I followed the directions as written for the tubular bindoff and although it looked horrible I perservered thinking the pattern has got to be right and as I continue things will look better. I did the set up row and about 2 inches of binding off before I came to grips with the fact that things were wrong. So I ripped out the 2 inches which was extremely slow going, and took out the set up rows.

After examining my knitting I realized that I had gotten off track by slipping stitches where I should have knit, and knit where I should have slipped. I should have read my stitches as well as the pattern. So I did the set up rows again and decided to reread the instructions before starting the bind off. And there it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The part that said knit 1x1 ribbing
for 1 ¼ inches. So I did a few rows of 1x1 rib and just now rechecked the directions. There is no part that says knit 1x1 ribbing for 1 ¼ inches for the hem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The directions say that for the waist shaping. Oy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would appear that my eyes drifted to another spot on the pattern entirely. I seem to becoming completely incompetent.

My question to myself now is shall I rip out those extra rows of 1x1 rib, or leave them?

I'm dreading trying the tubular bind off again, but determined to get it right.

I really want to move on to the sleeves.

Perhaps I need to set this aside and work on the Momogus V Neck Shell as a palette cleanser?

No comments: