Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Final Thoughts of Madrid

Our final two nights in Madrid took a remarkable turn.  Saturday, which I expected would be the wildest and craziest of nights outside our room, quieted down shortly after midnight.  I was totally amazed to wake up around 8 in the morning.  I was surprised because I had actually fallen asleep.  Taylor, who is always an early riser, reported that the streets were almost deserted.  It seems that everyone was in church.  I guess you have to close down the party early on Saturday night to be able to drag yourself into church on Sunday morning.

As we headed out to go to a local flea market, we also discovered that Calle de la Monterra was closed down and Puerta del Sol was set up for a marathon.  Perhaps that is another reason the street in front of Hotel Atheneo was quiet in the night.  We watched as thousands of marathoners started off to lots of enthusiastic cheering and loud music.

Sunday night was also quiet and I slept.  I wonder now if I was imagining all the ruckus of our first nights in Madrid.

Final memories of Madrid:
The fruit stand where we bought our daily oranges.
Hotel Europa where we had breakfast in the morning.

Cafe con leche and croissant at the bar.
Chocolate and churros at the Chocolateria San Gene after a tour of the Royal Palace.

This man is cranking out churros in this hot steamy room behind the glass door.  Fresh churros dipped in chocolate are wonderful.

Sunday morning flea market.

The flea market reminded me of Portland Saturday Market, with the addition of old crap from every one's basements.



I was surprised to find a spinning wheel at the flea market, along with old sewing machines.


A final memorable dinner near Plaza de Mayor.  We finally tried vermut............a drink I can get used to (I had two). As a final treat, our waiter brought us liquor of madrona in little chocolate lined wafer cups.




Every bar in every restaurant is quaint.

The Madrid bear feasting on madrona berries.
The grand finale of Madrid - madrona liquor in chocolate lined cups.

No comments: